Short Term Car & Van Insurance
- Comprehensive Cover
- From 1 – 28 Days, 2 & 3 Months policies
- Fast and Simple
- Instant Documents
Get driving today...
When Would You Need Short Term Cover?
If you need instant insurance cover for life’s little emergencies, Short-Term Insurance is the answer to your needs.
You can arrange comprehensive cover to insure yourself on another car or to cover an extra driver to drive your own car within minutes. You can select your preferred cover period, from 1 day up to 84 days.
Short Term Car & Van Insurance
Short Term Car & Van Insurance is a convenient way to arrange cover for a short period, be it for one day car insurance cover, a weekend’s cover or even up to one month’s temporary car insurance or short term van insurance. Both cars and vans are covered. Short-Term Insurance offer some of the best rates for short-term car & van insurance – and we constantly review our prices to remain the most competitive.
Details of short term cover include;
- Online Comprehensive Cover
- Instant cover from 1-84 days
- Temp Cover for Drivers aged 18 to 75 years
- Insure yourself on a different car
- Insure someone else on your car
- Cover arranged in minutes;
- Online Quote in Seconds
- Complete Proposal Form
- Make Secure Online Payment
- Print Certificate & Drive
You can use this site for the online purchasing of temporary car insurance & short-term van insurance cover in minutes. As soon as your card payment is authorised, you will receive a secure link to collect your insurance documents from our secure web server. You can save your quote and go back to it at a later date to buy instant cover online.
- Damage to the vehicle in an accident
- Malicious damage, fire, theft and vandalism
- Up to £20 million for damage to other people’s property
- Legal obligations to third parties for injury or damage claims
- Fees for emergency medical treatment
For full details, see our Acceptance Criteria – in brief, our Policy Restrictions are;
- Drivers aged 18-75
- Full UK, EU, EEA or Commonwealth licence over 6 months
- No more than 6 penalty points
- No more than 2 claims
- Not been disqualified
- Certain occupations excluded
- Right-hand-drive vehicles only
- Market Value over £1500 and under £60000
- No Modified Vehicles
- Not for Impounded Vehicles
These terms & restrictions are a brief overview, not the complete terms – for a full list of our Acceptance Criteria, please view that page. Your policy will be invalid if you or your vehicle does not meet the eligibility criteria stated.
All policies offer Comprehensive cover.
- What’s Covered under Comprehensive short term insurance?
- Damage to the vehicle in an accident;
- Malicious damage, fire, theft and vandalism;
- Up to £20 million for damage to other people’s property;
- Legal obligations to third parties for injury or damage claims;
- Fees for emergency medical treatment;
MID – Motor Insurance Database
About the Motor Insurance Database & Short Term Insurance
The MID is a central database that holds information of insured vehicles within the UK. Shortly after a vehicle is insured, the MID is updated. The MID is used by some authorities to verify which vehicles are currently insured, like the police or those issuing car tax.
With short term insurance, after the purchase of the insurance, vehicle insurance details are submitted to Insurers the next working day.
This information is then passed to the Motor Insurer’s Database (MID) and can take up to seven days to appear on the MID. Policies taken out for less than 7 days may have expired by the time the MID have updated their record systems. You should therefore carry your insurance documents with you at all times as a record that the vehicle is insured correctly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Can I start cover immediately?
Answer: Yes – cover can start from within a couple of minutes of purchasing.
Question: When do I get my Certificate of Insurance?
Answer: You can download & print this straight after successfully purchasing cover. An email will also be sent to you with the linked documentation.
Sample Policy Documents are available below – you can download these and keep for your reference.
ERS Short Term Insurance Policy Wording – Download
ERS Short Term Insurance Insurance Product
Information Document – Download
Other Useful Documents
Excess Reduction Policy
The Excess Reduction Policy allows you to claim back part of your Policy Excess in the event of a fault claim. You do still need to pay out the excess first at the point of a claim, but you can recover up to the Excess Reduction amount back. For more information, see our Excess Reduction page.